Cyndy Aten on the Adverse Childhood Experiences Study
- How People Learn To Become Resilient – The New Yorker
Perception is key to resilience: Do you conceptualize an event as traumatic, or as a chance to learn and grow?
- Healing Horses – How Equine-Assisted Therapy Can Help
Evidence for the special connection between man and horse can be found throughout history…
- 12 Tools For More Mindful Living – Fast Company
Living a more mindful life is worth the effort, but remembering to focus and keep your mind in the moment is difficult. Here is a toolset designed to help you achieve your goals.
- The Neurobiology of Grace Under Pressure – Psychology Today
8 habits that stimulate your vagus nerve and keep you calm, cool, and collected.
- 5 Ways to Be Mindful and Achieve Optimal Health – U.S. News Health
Mindfulness researcher Jon Kabat-Zinn explains how to live in the moment.
- 77 Surprising Health Benefits of Yoga – NursingDegree.net
Over the past several years, yoga has experienced an upsurge in popularity in the western world among medical professionals and celebrities alike. While many associate yoga with new age mysticism or the latest fad at the gym, yoga is actually an ancient practice that connects the mind, body, and spirit through body poses, controlled breathing, and meditation.
- A Randomized Trial of Tai Chi for Fibromyalgia – The New England Journal of Medicine (PDF)
Previous research has suggested that tai chi offers a therapeutic benefit in patients with fibromyalgia.
- Can Relaxation Techniques Help Chronic Pain – Psych Central
Learning to live with chronic pain takes courage, perseverance, patience and ongoing education.
- Childhood Physical Abuse Linked to Cancer – ScienceDailyChildhood physical abuse is associated with elevated rates of cancer in adulthood, according to a new study.
- Humor Therapy Helps Manage Dementia – Psych Central
A new study uses humor therapy rather than anti-psychotic drugs to manage agitation in patients with dementia.
- Meditation Palliative for Rheumatoid Arthritis – Psych Central
Increasingly, RA patients are turning to alternative therapies like meditation to ease the toll of their disease.
- Significant Benefits of Yoga in People With Rheumatoid Arthritis, Study Shows – ScienceDaily
Individuals with rheumatoid arthritis who practice yoga showed statistically significant improvements in disease activity, according to a small study.
- Surf Therapy for PTSD? – Psych Central
For veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a new therapy may offer help from an unexpected avenue — surfing.
- The Poverty Clinic – The New Yorker (PDF)
Can a stressful childhood make you a sick adult?
- This is Your Body on Stress – Huffington Post
Historically, the majority of stressors facing humans were physical (lions and tigers and bears, oh my!), requiring, in turn, a physical response.
- Transcendental Meditation Helps Vets with PTSD – Psych Central
A recently published pilot study suggests the practice of Transcendental Meditation reduces symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Yoga and PTSD – Integral Yoga Magazine
Dr. Bessel van der Kolk is considered one of the world’s leading authorities on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). He has pioneered the use of Yoga as a therapy that is helping these individuals to work through their PTSD and regain a sense of mastery. He discusses mind-body connections in trauma, how Yoga works and precautions for teaching trauma-sensitive Yoga students.
- Yoga for Anxiety and Depression – Harvard Mental Health Letter
Since the 1970s, meditation and other stress-reduction techniques have been studied as possible treatments for depression and anxiety. One such practice, yoga, has received less attention in the medical literature, though it has become increasingly popular…
- Yoga Increases Cortisol, Relieves Stress – Psych Central
A new study suggests practicing yoga reduces symptoms of chronic pain in women with fibromyalgia.
- Yoga: Not Just an Exercise – Psychology Today
Yoga can help you beat depression. How hatha yoga saved the life of one manic depressive.
- Videos and Peer Reviewed Research from the – Somatic Experiencing® Trauma Institute
Look for the Peter Levine, Ph.D. and Nature’s Lessons in Healing Trauma
- Embracing Mindfulness as a Tool to Reduce Stress
Mindfulness, and its accompanying healing strategies helps guide people towards a less chaotic life.
- A Session of Mindfulness a Day Helps Keep the Pain Away
The benefits of mindfulness for those suffering from various kinds of pain including chronic pain, fibromyalgia, and oral pain.