Pain is an amazingly effective system that your brain uses to protect you when it interprets that you are in danger. It can be so effective that you can’t think of anything else. Modern pain science and the Alexander Technique give hope for those experiencing persistent pain. In the Preventing Persistent Pain class you will learn techniques for reducing and managing pain and preventing chronic pain.
Each week, the class will combine some lecture and discussion with experience. It is now well-known by pain researchers that the more you know about how pain works, the less it hurts, so the lecture and discussion are designed to give you accurate information and help you change the way your brain reacts. The experiential parts of the class are based on the Alexander Technique and will include activities that encourage greater ease, well-being and quality of life. These activities are meditative in nature as well as being an exploration of gentle, easy movement. By exploring the principles of the Alexander Technique, you’ll learn how to release unnecessary muscle tension, reduce stress and use your body in a way that supports the prevention, management and reduction of pain.
Everyone’s pain experience is different, but in this class you’ll learn how you can create the conditions for improved health and greater ease and comfort. Everyone is invited to take part in the proposed class activities, or just listen, watch and discuss, as you wish.
Wednesdays, August 12–September 9, 6:00–7:15 p.m.
Online Course Access
Instructions to connect to the Zoom online course:
- You will need a computer, laptop or smartphone with an internet connection, internet browser, webcam (optional), speakers or headphones and a microphone. If you do not have an internet connection or audio, let us know and Mari will give you instructions for listening on the phone.
- If you’ve never used Zoom before, click here: https://zoom.us/test to test and see how it works before the class on Thursday. When you click on the link, Zoom will take you through downloading the program and the easy joining process. It will ask you if you want to use computer audio. If you have speakers and a microphone (included in laptops and cell phones), click on computer audio.
- You can choose to turn your own webcam on or off. If you turn it on, all participants will see you and Mari will be able to see you and give you feedback. You can click on Stop Video at the bottom left corner of your screen to turn off video of yourself at any time.
- You can choose to turn your own microphone on or off. You can choose to mute your microphone with the Mute button at the bottom left corner at any time.
- If you have connection problems, Mari will send you the link to the recording. If all participants or Mari have connection problems, we will reschedule.
- At our first class, we will schedule our mid-week online get-together, so bring your calendar!
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mari at firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-544-4625.
- Mari will be online in our Zoom meeting room about 15 minutes before the class starts to help you navigate your way around!
$71.00 for the 5-week course