In this gentle movement class you’ll discover how you can free up your body and quiet your mind to prevent, reduce and manage pain and to move with greater freedom and ease. Movement exploration is based on the Alexander Technique, an embodied mindfulness practice shown to reduce pain and anxiety, and improve balance, coordination and respiratory function.
Mindful Movement involves the whole mind-body self in a practice that brings us more fully into the body in the present moment. You will learn how you can reduce patterns of tension that create excess effort and that pull your body out of its natural, easy alignment. Alexander Technique promotes healthy organization of the whole body and integrated movement. This practice helps us to become more aware of what we are doing in our mind-body self without realizing it. With practice we cultivate the ability to choose how we would like to move and act in every activity.
We apply this practice to movements and activities of daily life to discover ways of sitting, standing, walking, reaching, bending, lying down, breathing and all the other movements of life with greater ease, comfort, freedom, balance and coordination. Alexander Technique helps us to discover an easier, kinder way of being and moving that we can take into our daily life so we can move through life with greater ease and get more benefit and enjoyment out of movement.
Mondays, 12:00–1:00 PM
Online Course Access
Instructions to connect to the Zoom online course:
- You will need a computer, laptop or smartphone with an internet connection, internet browser, webcam (optional), speakers or headphones and a microphone. If you do not have an internet connection or audio, let us know and Mari will give you instructions for listening on the phone.
- If you’ve never used Zoom before, click here: https://zoom.us/test to test and see how it works before the class on Thursday. When you click on the link, Zoom will take you through downloading the program and the easy joining process. It will ask you if you want to use computer audio. If you have speakers and a microphone (included in laptops and cell phones), click on computer audio.
- You can choose to turn your own webcam on or off. If you turn it on, all participants will see you and Mari will be able to see you and give you feedback. You can click on Stop Video at the bottom left corner of your screen to turn off video of yourself at any time.
- You can choose to turn your own microphone on or off. You can choose to mute your microphone with the Mute button at the bottom left corner at any time.
- If you have connection problems, Mari will send you the link to the recording. If all participants or Mari have connection problems, we will reschedule.
- At our first class, we will schedule our mid-week online get-together, so bring your calendar!
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mari at firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-544-4625.
- Mari will be online in our Zoom meeting room about 15 minutes before the class starts to help you navigate your way around!
$40 for 4 sessions
$80 for 8 sessions
$120 for 12 sessions