Breath allows us to communicate and to sing, it can help calm us and it delivers the oxygen our body needs and carries away the waste products. Our body is designed for free, coordinated breath that supports all the activities of life. Breath happens automatically and yet we can influence it. We can also interfere with it – meaning we can make our breath less efficient through unconscious habits and patterns of tension in our body.
Throughout our lives we each develop patterns of tension as we learn to stifle emotions and pull our bodies into the shape our culture teaches us to adopt. Individual habits of posture and movement affect tensions in our torso that can restrict breath and keep us from breathing fully and naturally. Shallow breath is associated with stress, and also contributes to a state of fight or flight. Misconceptions about breath can cause us to restrict our breath in other ways. Full, natural breath allows our body to function more optimally, promotes healing and brings us more fully present.
In this course based on the Alexander Technique, you’ll learn how you can allow natural breath to flow freely. We’ll explore breath in relation to relaxation, activity, stress and body organization. You’ll discover how to create ease and feel greater vitality as you allow your body the space and freedom to move and let air flow. This course will benefit everyone with an interest in restoring easy, healing breath.
Wednesdays, September 8–29, 6:00–7:00 PM
This course will be offered synchronously both online and in-person (in-person course availability may depend on guidance around social distancing).
Instructions to connect to the Zoom online course:
- You will need a computer, laptop or smartphone with an internet connection, internet browser, webcam (optional), speakers or headphones and a microphone. If you do not have an internet connection or audio, let us know and Mari will give you instructions for listening on the phone.
- If you’ve never used Zoom before, click here: https://zoom.us/test to test and see how it works before the class on Thursday. When you click on the link, Zoom will take you through downloading the program and the easy joining process. It will ask you if you want to use computer audio. If you have speakers and a microphone (included in laptops and cell phones), click on computer audio.
- You can choose to turn your own webcam on or off. If you turn it on, all participants will see you and Mari will be able to see you and give you feedback. You can click on Stop Video at the bottom left corner of your screen to turn off video of yourself at any time.
- You can choose to turn your own microphone on or off. You can choose to mute your microphone with the Mute button at the bottom left corner at any time.
- If you have connection problems, Mari will send you the link to the recording. If all participants or Mari have connection problems, we will reschedule.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mari at email@example.com or 406-544-4625.
- Mari will be online in our Zoom meeting room about 15 minutes before the class starts to help you navigate your way around!
$48.00 for the 4-Week Workshop