Sleep is the ultimate restorer. When we can’t sleep because we can’t get comfortable physically or stop the motion of the mind going over past actions or possible futures, we often become enmeshed in a cycle of frustration and sleeplessness.
Many difficulties of pain, discomfort, anxiety and stress during the day are a result of not cooperating with the body’s design. Habits of tension interfere with an easy, natural coordination of muscles, joints and body parts. These habits are reflected when we go to sleep as well. Whatever the challenges we face to sleep, the Alexander Technique provides us with powerful tools to let go, and to welcome sleep as a result.
The Alexander Technique employs a constructive thinking process that results in improved alignment and an optimal level of muscle tone that allows us to be upright and active easily, without excess tightening. Students of the Alexander Technique learn to recognize and release harmful excess tension, and many report improved sleep.
Another benefit of practicing the Alexander Technique is reduced anxiety and stress. We learn to quiet habitual thinking that interferes with rest and to form a clear intention that creates a whole-body response. This skill is helpful in quieting the mind to prepare for sleep.
In this workshop, you’ll learn how you can manage sleep issues by applying the Alexander Technique. We’ll explore whole-body coordination that gets us “unstuck” so that we approach sleep with improved conditions for comfortable, restful sleep. We’ll also explore easeful positions that are more conducive to waking up feeling more refreshed.
Wear comfortable clothes that allow you to move easily (preferably not a skirt or jeans).
Saturday, September 18, 10:00 AM–12:00 PM
Instructions to connect to the Zoom online course:
- You will need a computer, laptop or smartphone with an internet connection, internet browser, webcam (optional), speakers or headphones and a microphone. If you do not have an internet connection or audio, let us know and Mari will give you instructions for listening on the phone.
- If you’ve never used Zoom before, click here: https://zoom.us/test to test and see how it works before the class on Thursday. When you click on the link, Zoom will take you through downloading the program and the easy joining process. It will ask you if you want to use computer audio. If you have speakers and a microphone (included in laptops and cell phones), click on computer audio.
- You can choose to turn your own webcam on or off. If you turn it on, all participants will see you and Mari will be able to see you and give you feedback. You can click on Stop Video at the bottom left corner of your screen to turn off video of yourself at any time.
- You can choose to turn your own microphone on or off. You can choose to mute your microphone with the Mute button at the bottom left corner at any time.
- If you have connection problems, Mari will send you the link to the recording. If all participants or Mari have connection problems, we will reschedule.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mari at email@example.com or 406-544-4625.
- Mari will be online in our Zoom meeting room about 15 minutes before the class starts to help you navigate your way around!
$31.00 for the 1-Day Workshop